Monday, February 28, 2005

OT-Hunter S. Thompson

I suppose I'm probably kinda late to the party on this one, and I'm not sure it has much too with money or markets, but I read this article today on the suicide of Hunter S. Thompson, and I can't help it.
The Money Quote:
Anita Thompson, 32, said her husband had discussed killing himself in recent months . . .His suicidal talk put a strain on their relationship, she said.
"He wanted to leave on top of his game. I wish I could have been more supportive of his decision," she said. "It was a problem for us."


"I wish could have been more supportive of his decision"?????!!!!!?????
I truly don't know whether to laugh or cry at this one. A spouse's suicidal ideation is a "problem" for the relationship? The other spouse doesn't think it's a good idea, but is actually regretful that she can't be more "supportive" of his pathology?
"It's not you, dear, it's me; I wish I could support you in your misguided desire, but I can't, and I hate myself for it. I'm not really sure how our relationship is going to survive your wish to kill yourself."

I guess all I can say is that if you or someone you love needs help please seek it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

she had to know what she was getting in for when she married him in the first place. he was a very interesting guy but very unstable.