Monday, January 03, 2005

Scaling

I had a thought this morning while making the coffee. I've thought for a while that its all (or at least largely) about the timeframe--i.e. a stock might be a winner in the next few hours or days, but a loser over months or years, and vice versa. I've also thought that there are trades that are good on a small scale (few hundred shares) but can't be done in size (tens of thousands of shares) because of liquidity, etc. My insight this morning was to sort of combine the two ideas, and wonder if maybe trading technique doesn't scale well. An example would be maybe letting winners run and placing passive stop-loss orders as they move up is a good strategy over weeks and months, but that doing the same over hours and days doesn't work as well as just selling after a pop.
I know, maybe this is trivial, or maybe everyone else has figured this out already, but it is a new insight for me.

No comments: