Monday, May 30, 2005

Saw the new star wars movie . . .

. . . and I was underwhelmed.
My disclaimer is that I am not, and never have been, a star wars fan.

Three major things struck me.

1) I still don't get the force. Sometimes you can slam a guy down to the ground with the force, but other times you gotta use a light sabre? Can't you just use the force to give the enemies a bad haircut, so they're too embarassed to fight?

2) All that technology and firepower, and these guys are fighting major air and land battles with hundreds of men and vehicles close enough to touch each other. The history of warfare has been that of increasing range and lethality of weapons that PREVENTS the massing of forces. But that's just the military history nerd in me.

3) The scenes with Anakin (spelling?) and Padme (??) are unbelievably stiff. I have a challenge for anyone with the stomach for it. George Lucas produced a previous bomb called Howard the Duck, in which an alien humanoid duck named Howard gets lucky with Lea Thompson. Watch the movie, and tell me if the scenes with Howard and Lea aren't more real than Anakin and Padme.

No comments: